Duplicate Licenses

If you ever lose or damage your license, you can request the nearest DMV office to get the duplicate. The application can be done online, in person, or by mail.

Application Process

As already mentioned you may submit your application online, in person, or via mail. Actually, in all cases you have to submit the required documents:
  • Proof of identity
  • Filled and signed submission from
  • $5 fine
  • The damaged permit, if available
After the DMV may ask you to provide legal presence records or proof of residency. Now let’s check each replacement way separately.


For online replacement, you may use the state online service. Many Maine licensed drivers with an active driver's permit or a Maine ID card are eligible for this. However, commercial driver’s permit holders are not eligible for this service. Along with the above-mentioned documents you have to provide:
  • Your social security number
  • A valid credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
Make sure that one of the identification documents must include your birth date. Another one must carry your written signature.


You are eligible for in-person replacement as well. Just find the nearest office or mobile unit and ask for a request form. Fill it in, provide your identification documents and fill in a form that indicates you don’t have a permit for that time.
Please note that the proof of identification must indicate your date of birth and your written signature.

Via Mail

Finally, you may even complete the process via mail. You have to make a request form that includes the following:
  • Full legal name
  • Birthdate
  • A statement indicating you don’t have any permit for that time
  • The reason why you want a replacement
Your duplicate license/identification card will be processed and shipped to you after the image and signature on file are verified. You must also include a $5.00 fee with your written request.
The packages should be mailed to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Information Unit
29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0029
Telephone (207)624-9000 ext. 52114
If you prefer to get the duplicate permit/identification card paperwork before visiting a branch office or mobile unit, you can submit the same written request as indicated above, and the paperwork will be forwarded to you. This procedure would also apply if you need a duplicate while out of state or out of the U.S.