Suspensions and Revocations of Licenses Maine

You must ensure that your driver's license is not suspended after you have obtained it. The suspension can be for various reasons from driving under influence to criminal cases.

Suspension & Revocation: What’s the difference?

A license suspension is a loss of a driving license for a specific amount of time while the revocation is a more significant loss of driving privileges that often makes the driver reapply for their license.

Suspension for Driving Under Influence

If you're convicted of driving while intoxicated (DUI) or if you're arrested (even if you're not convicted of DUI) for driving with a blood alcohol content of.08 percent or above, your license will be suspended. The length of your suspension is usually determined by how many prior convictions or BAC-related suspensions you have had in the last ten years.
If you irresponsibly drive a vehicle while under the influence and cause someone's death, or if you refuse to submit to alcohol testing in violation of the state's implied consent statutes, your permit will be suspended.

Suspensions that have nothing to do with driving

Suspension of a driver's privilege can also be the result of behavior unrelated to driving. For instance, your license may be revoked if you face the following:
  • a failure to pay child support
  • failure to appear in court for certain traffic offenses
  • failure to pay a fine issued during a hearing
These are only a few instances of events that can result in the loss of a driver's license. Suspension or revocation of a right can occur for a variety of reasons.

Nonpayment of child support

Your driver's license may be suspended if your child support payments are 60 days late (or are arrears based on your established agreement) or if you fail to provide health insurance for your child. This punishment is enforced by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services as an indirect means to promote parental responsibility.

Accidents that are not covered by insurance

Maine drivers are required to have minimum liability, uninsured motorists, and personal injury protection coverage. In an automobile accident, failure to present proof of this coverage can result in up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. The Secretary of State may also suspend your privilege until you demonstrate that you have the financial means to pay for the bare minimum of coverage.

What to do when your permit is suspended or revoked?

First and foremost, if your permit has been suspended or canceled, you must research State law to determine what went wrong. Actually, the court walks you through the entire process and gives you your driving records, including the reason for the revocation.
Take into account that you cannot operate any type of a vehicle while revoked otherwise you may face up to 5 years in prison. Moreover, your revocation period would be increased.
You will receive a written notice of restoration after your revocation has ended, along with instructions on how to recover your license. Once again, do not drive until you have completed all of the required requirements and received a valid replacement privilege from the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
Even if after the court order you have your permit with you, you are to take it to the nearest BMV office or mail it and have it surrendered.
You are eligible for a hardship permit if:
  • you are unable to go to school or work
  • the current driver’s license has been obtained at least 2 years ago
  • a court did not order your suspension
If your privilege was suspended due to nonpayment of child support, you must apply for a hardship license through the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.


Whenever your suspension period has been ended you will receive a notice from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. It would include the instructions on how to reinstate the privilege. If you had the permit revoked you have to reapply for the DL and in some cases submit an application for Maine License Plates.
In most cases, you'll need to:
  • Pay a reinstatement charge. It can be paid at a BMV office in person. You can also send a check or money order to the address specified at the end.
  • Receive a new privilege, and submit an application for normal license renewal.
  • Meet all of your court's criteria.
  • Submit an SR22 or proof of insurance to the ME BMV.
  • Enroll in an alcohol education program.
  • Take the knowledge and skills tests again.
Please note that if your privilege is restored, you may be put on probation for a period of time during which any new offenses could result in your Maine driver's license being suspended again.